In the same way high gain tube amps are designed by cascading extra tube stages, the TightMetal was created by adding additional stages in front of a carefully modified TightDrive. The resulting thicker and much heavier distortion is tweaked by a simple built-in output EQ curve, and can further be adjusted by the output Tone control, so it’s easy to get a stack sound even through a small combo amp’s clean channel.
After discussing some other consumer suggested ideas with Mark, a couple of switches were added to help customize the tone and help the playability. A Mid switch helps get a more traditional metal rhythm sound with its Thrash setting which gives a deeper scooped mid tone. To help stop the notes even quicker, a Noise Gate switch with an ultra quiet, quick decaying Chomp setting really helps a lot….especially when doing very quick riffs with a lot of palm-muted stops, so the whole band sounds even tighter.
At January NAMM ’11, various metal players made suggestions about adjustments to the gate, and the result was a redesign to include an automatic gate threshold that tracks the gain control……this keeps the Chomp setting appropriately hard, and backs off on that setting as the gain is reduced.
All other features from the TightDrive remain intact, including the Effects Loop with its Pre/Post switch, the LED illumination of the controls, and the Battery On/Off switch and magnetic battery access door. The effects loop send can be used as a clean guitar send for re-amping in the studio if switched to Pre.
- True Bypass switch
- Tight Attack Control
- Gain, Tone, & Volume Controls
- Gate switch with Chomp™ setting for quick stops
- Mid switch with Thrash setting
- Effects Loop with Pre/Post switch..tracks On/Off Footswitch
- LED lit knobs when using a power supply
- Battery disconnect switch with red indicator
- Current: 14mA with 9V battery, 20mA with 9V adapter
- Works with 9V-18V supplies–like ‘variacing’ your amp up and down
- DC Adapter jack, standard 2.1mm X 5.5mm, center ground(-)
- BATTERIES/SUPPLY NOT INCLUDED
- Magnetic Battery access door opens w/o tools
- Handmade in the USA